Monday, November 15, 2010

The Mission

Hello all!
       Some of you may already know but I am on my way to Catalina Island off the coast of California and I have a strong conviction from God to do so. This all started back in December of 2009 where God started to take me totally out of my comfort zone. I received a message one day that a young brother of a friend from school was having some major health issues due to a tumor and for some reason it totally rocked my world . This was weird for me because I have never met the kid but God kept laying the situation on my heart in a heavy way. The younger brother did not end up making it and I decided to go to the funeral. As I was sitting there hearing all of these amazing stories of faith that this kid had at such a young age while going through all the pain I prayed and asked God to give me the faith that kid had. Well God works in some awesome ways because just a few weeks after that I started having some really rough health issues. I decided to go to the hospital where I found out what was going on and that I now have a tumor (Matthew 7:7). As you could probably imagine that totally shook me up and I had no idea what was to come. I remember so vividly sitting in the hospital room after receiving the news and a million thoughts were going through my head wondering what was going to happen next and then I prayed and asked God that no matter how the story ended to let my life glorify HIM.
       Its amazing how God puts people in your life to encourage you and to help you grow closer to him (1 Thessalonians 5:11). As I was going through all of this I decided one Sunday morning to head over to a church service at one of the local churches where I ran into the Hobbs family and from that point on God started to quickly build a relationship with them. I started to hear some amazing stories of surf trips, mission trips and of God. My eyes started to open to things that I have never seen before and I started to see God work in some ways that blew me away. As God was doing all of this He started to grow a passion in my heart for missions and that totally freaked me out. One thing that I always promised myself was that I would NEVER be a missionary and the one thing I said I would NEVER do God was leading me to do. God has built a huge passion in my heart for worship and the "Lifestyle of Worship" (John 4:16-26) but now it was growing into mission worship. I found that the more I fought it the more God was leading me and now the question was "where"? After much prayer and fighting, God started to reveal to me that He was leading me to California. I started to hear of the Hobbs family speak of how they were being led out to Catalina Island for missions and I also started to hear of the mission work to be done there and God started to stir in my heart even more so that passion about mission worship. I started to pray and really seek God and through some amazing affirmations (I will share in later posts) God has assured me that's where He is leading me.
             This has so far been an amazing year dealing with all of this and I am looking forward to what is to come. I  will be living off of support with no job and no car and I am leaving everything I have known behind to follow God and  it scares me but also excites me so much. My prayer is still that no matter what comes of my life that God is fully glorified through it and I look forward to the amazing things God has in store. I ask that you would pray for me as well as the Hobbs family in this journey and also for yourself to see how you can be part of this mission. Thank you so much!
Your brother in Christ,
Michael Forcella

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Andrew was and is a follower of Jesus. Unashamed, he spread the fragrance of Christ before and during the cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I would like to say that I think it's AWESOME how you are being obedient to God's calling for you. It just shows how much you are trusting and relying on Him, like you should be. Especially with the realization of all you're leaving behind and not having a job or a car, etc.

    Also, I'm really excited for you and for this journey God is taking you on. I know He's going to rock your world. I definitely believe that God has a sense of humor, and you absolutely refusing to be a missionary before but having that change of heart now is proof of that. God can and will use whoever He wants in any way He wants, and I praise Him for that. And I believe that because this was not something you were originally planning on doing, it will all the more glorify Jesus Christ in your life because it won't be coming from you. Let God use you as a vessel.

    Thank you for sharing this part of your life with me and anyone else who reads this, and I look forward to hearing more about what God is doing in your life and the lives of those you'll be interacting with =)

    ReplyDelete